Vascular ultrasound is used to examine the blood flow in arteries and veins. A form of ultrasound known as Doppler is used. This allows the technologist to observe and measure the flow of blood in your vessels. You will hear the sound of the blood flow at various times during the test.
CAROTID DOPPLER: The carotid arteries are the main vessels running up each side of the neck. They supply blood from the heart to the face and brain. This test will take approximately ½ hr
ARTERIAL DOPPLER OF THE EXTREMITIES (Legs or Arms): This is used to evaluate the blood flow to the extremities from the heart. Both limbs will be examined as well as the major arteries in the abdomen. This test can take anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes.
VENOUS DOPPLER: This test is used to check for blood clots in the legs or arms. Only the symptomatic limb is evaluated. This test takes from 10 to 30 minutes.
- An appointment is required
- You MUST bring the REQUISITION and your HEALTH CARD
- If you are late for your appointment or are not properly prepared, you will be rebooked
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to register
- 24 Hours notice is required to change or cancel an appointment or you will be charged for the missed appointment
There is no preparation required for these tests