- An appointment is required
- You MUST bring the REQUISITION and your HEALTH CARD
- If you are late for your appointment or are not properly prepared, you will be rebooked
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to register
- 24 Hours notice is required to change or cancel an appointment or you will be charged for the missed appointment
- You will require a full bladder for this test. You must drink 1 litre of water and have it finished 1 hour before your appointment.
- You must arrive with a full bladder.
- If you are in the later stages of pregnancy and are uncomfortable with the full bladder the sonographer will let you empty after he/she has taken a couple of pictures.
You will be taken into the exam room. Your partner or family will be asked to wait in the waiting room until the end of the exam.
The sonographer will have you lie on the bed and ask you to lower your pants to your hips and cover you with a towel. They will use some gel and take many pictures of both you and the baby. Depending on how far along you are, this can take anywhere from 10 to 45 minutes. You may be asked to empty your bladder at some stage of the exam. At the end of the exam, depending on what is seen, the sonographer will offer to have your partner/family (limit of 2 guests please) come in to the room and show you some pictures of the baby. Due to the size of the baby, we are not able to see much before 6 or 7 weeks gestation.
The sonographer is not able to give you the results of the test. Your doctor will receive the measurements and dates in a full, written report.
Depending on how far along you are and how well the baby is seen, the sonographer may be able to give you a copy of a picture.