Echocardiography (echo) is an ultrasound of your heart. The walls and valves of the heart as well as the bloodflow through the heart are examined.
- An appointment is required
- You MUST bring the REQUISITION and your HEALTH CARD
- If you are late for your appointment or are not properly prepared, you will be rebooked
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment to register
- 24 Hours notice is required to change or cancel an appointment or you will be charged for the missed appointment
- There is no preparation required for this test.
You will be asked to take everything off from the waist up and put on a gown. The technologist will take you into the exam room.
They will place some stickers with electrodes on your chest to monitor the heart rhythm during the exam. You will then be asked to lie on the bed on your left side. The technologist will take various pictures of your heart from several different angles. You may hear the sound of the blood flow at various times during the test. The exam is painless and should take from 10 to 20 minutes.
Your doctor will receive the results.